[Artemisia] a Kingdom Fundraiser

Morgan Wolf wolf912 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 28 18:27:03 CST 2005

Let that be a lesson to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: artemisia-bounces+wolf912=comcast.net at lists.gallowglass.org
[mailto:artemisia-bounces+wolf912=comcast.net at lists.gallowglass.org] On
Behalf Of Kristin E Gulling-Smith
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 6:39 AM
To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] a Kingdom Fundraiser

Morgan asked:
> I'm sorry, I must have missed something- how long has the ensign
> been backwards?  Black gryphon on a gold field, isn't that An Tir?
> Not nitpicking, just confused

As long as it's been registered. (January 2003, for those who are
curious.)

This is the design that Reinmar and I discussed and submitted during his
first reign. There is no "backwards", here: The black on gold was clear
of conflicts and retained the "kingdom colours" of black and gold, as he
wished. It also has the advantage of being more identifiable at a
distance (in my opinion anyway), which is a Good Thing for something that
will be used on the battlefield. (I understand that it's been used on the
battlefield for at least one Estrella; if anyone has pictures of that,
I'd love to see them.)

An Tir is a black gryphon on a gold and white checky field, by the way.
(With other "frou-frou", such as a crown and a laurel wreath, of course.)

In case anyone is wondering why the kingdom ensign was used rather than
the populace badge, it's because there is no official populace badge for
Artemisia; the commonly-used one of a gold pile on a black field has
multiple conflicts, and the attempt at registering a gold voided pile on
a black field (a gold "V" on black) also had a conflict with a barony in
the eastern U.S., who refused permission to conflict. The kingdom ensign
is used to show allegiance and affiliation, and so is also appropriate
for this kind of usage, whereas the kingdom arms are not: The kingdom
arms belong to the Crown (jointly!), and when placed on things, say,
"This is the Crown's." The ensign (and/or populace badge) says, "This is
Artemisian."

-Athenais

--
THL Athenais Bryennissa, Golden Pillar Herald
Artemisian CoH Website: http://heralds.artemisia.sca.org/