[Artemisia] Children's Activities at Coronation

Angela Perry angela_s_perry at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:05:49 CDT 2005

Greetings, everyone!

I don't know about you, but I am so excited for the Moose Hunt at Crown
Tournament! If anyone can find Arnie and bring him home, it's the kids.

In addition to Their Excellencies' Moose Hunt, the following schedule (for
children and those young at heart) is planned for Crown Tournament:

Friday
- No scheduled activities. However, please make use of the children you see
running around! Many of them would be happy to help you set up camp, run
errands, etc, and their service counts toward their progress in the Youth
Program!

Saturday
9 am
- Attend the breakfast fundraiser with your kids!
- Lure coursing is very children-friendly. Please get them involved! (Just
remember, kingdom and mundane law says all children under 12 must be within
sight/sound of a responsible adult)
- There is no minimum age for archery. Let your kids get involved!

10 am
- Class: Coronation Books, Part 1...no limit...no fee...5 and up (under 5
with adult or older sibling)
During the Middle Ages, it was standard practice for the new king and queen
to have a Coronation Book. This book depicted the new rulers as benevolent
and kind through pictures and text. It could also contain useful ceremonies,
poetry, information about gifts the new king and queen received...basically,
it functioned as a journal of the event.

In part 1 of our class, we will make the actual book. Yes, that's right.
We'll sew (or staple, for the young ones) the pages together, make a cover,
and decorate them befitting a true Coronation Book.

11 am
- Class: Map Making for Children...no limit...no fee...5 and up (under 5
with adult or older sibling)
Here be dragons! And moose! (meese? mooses?) We shall be learning basic
period mapmaking techniques, and then of course be trying them out by making
our own maps.

12 pm
- Break for lunch/court. PLEASE NOTE: If you did not accompany your child,
you must be there at the end of the activities to pick them up! If you are
not, the children will be turned over to security and your child will not be
allowed to participate in afternoon classes. Sorry, but it has to be this
way. We cannot legally allow unescorted minors on site.

1 pm (or immediately following court)
- Class: Coronation Books, Part 1...no limit...no fee...5 and up (under 5
with adult or older sibling)
Part 2 will focus on filling out our books. But wait, isn't it supposed to
tell about Coronation? Well, real Coronation Books were often completed
months in advance, just to make the new rulers look good. And that is what
we shall do! During evening feast, a table will be set up displaying the
completed books. Everyone should vote on their favorite. The winner will
displayed at Coronation and presented to TRM on that day.

- Don't forget to ask the children to be list pages!

3 pm
- Parents' Tea
All parents, children (must be accompanied!), and interested adults are
invited to come spend an hour meeting and getting to know each other. We
will have program handbooks for people interested in signing their children
up for the Youth Program. Coloring/activity pages and snacky food will be
provided. We will also have a place for parents and teens over 16 to sign up
for babysitting rotation. (Don't know what that is? Want to find out? Then
please come!)

4 pm
- Free time! Use this time to track down Arnie, if you haven't already!

6 pm
- Feast: Please vote on your favorite Coronation Book! They will be
displayed with tokens for casting your vote.

Sunday
8 am - 11 am
- Origami and Oranges: Come to the designated location (will be announced)
at any time during the morning for a free orange and some origami fun! We
will be making all kinds of fun shapes, including birds, bats, boats, and
other great things! Children are free to come and go, but please make sure
you follow the sight/sound rule: a responsible adult must be nearby!

All Day
- One Man's Garbage Is a Child's Treasure Hunt! - Come pick a garbage bag
from our designated location! Each child who brings a full bag of garbage to
troll point or the designated youth area at any time during the day will
receive a treat!