[Artemisia] Fw: Stefan's Florilegium files for October

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Fri Oct 7 18:42:57 CDT 2005

Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for October, detailing what  is new
in the Florilegium this month.

I am currently putting together a list of "desired articles" to be posted on
the website. Perhaps this list will encourage some of the talented authors
we have in the SCA, who say "But I don't know what  to write about" to
produce an article or two. So, if there are any  articles you would like to
see written, please email me and I will
consider your suggestions for this list.

Thanks,
    Stefan

----
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make  this information
available to others, I have placed this information  in a series of files I
call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that
would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible
inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in  another
way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of  the site. Any
donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of
keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
    fireworks-lnks       Links to info on medieval fireworks
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the FEASTS section:
    rasng-fd-fsts-msg    Raising plants and animals for SCA feasts
In the FOOD section:
    bag-cheeses-art      “Making Simple Bag Cheeses / Cheese in Period”
                by Lord Jakys the Chesemonger.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
    skewred-meats-msg    Period meat dishes cooked on skewers.
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
    cosmetics-lnks       Links to info on medieval cosmetics and
                            perfumes by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the STRUCTURES section:
    fountains-msg        Period fountains. Building fountains.
In the UNCATALOGUED section:
    crime-punish-lnks    Links to medieval crime and punishment
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

Here are some of the updated files.
    tent-dsguises-msg    Ideas for disguising modern tents.
    tent-floors-msg      What to use on the ground in your tent.

Since this is October, and Halloween is coming up, here are some of  the
files in the Florilegium
associated with this holiday:
gourds-msg        (99K)  1/22/05    Gourds, pumpkins, squash. Recipes.
Halloween-art      (8K)  9/14/00    "Halloween, Medieval Style" byLady
Muireann ni Riordain (Jessica Wilbur).
Halloween-lnks     (7K) 12/26/04    Links to Halloween and its origins by
Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
Walking-Dead-art  (50K)  9/ 4/96    "The Walking Dead: Draugr and Aptrgangr
in Old Norse literature".
---
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted  if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the  publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com