[Artemisia] The St. Crispin Bros.

Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark cat at rocks4brains.com
Fri Oct 28 01:28:43 CDT 2005

Jehane's post brings to mind some extremely tangential Argincourt
trivia:

There isn't just a St. Crispin, there are two of them and they are
brothers, which is why there's a line in Henry V toward the end of the
Band of Brothers monolog, "Crispin Crispianus" which actually cites
both brothers.  The Saints Crispin and Crispinius (or Crispinian or
Crispinianus) were brothers.  They were also both shoemakers and
workers in leather.  They were born noble but had to flee from their
home during the Diocletian Persecutions because they were Christians.
They took up shoemaking as a trade after they fled.  So far so good.
But there's an immediate problem here in that where you lived would
affect the rest of the story.  There are three different independent
St. Crispin and St. Crispinius traditions, including one where the
Crispin story line gets mixed up with the story line of another
shoemaker saint named Hugh.  It's a great huge confusing muddle!  In
the English versions of the story, St. Crispin gets to marry a princess
and everyone lives happily ever after, except for poor Crispinius who
everybody forgets.  Despite the happy ending versions, the brothers are
considered official martyrs in the 3 traditions that I know about.  Go
figure - it's just how "lives of the saints" stories go sometimes.
Mind you, I'm not intending here to dump on the church into which I was
born, but some of those saint stories are pretty wild and just about
every profession and every "cause" had/has its patron saint (e.g.,
hopeless situations, whose patron saint is Jude, which is why there are
so many well-known St. Jude Hospitals in this world - and whenever my
mother really wanted to take a good dig at me for never calling home
when I was in grad school, she'd make sure I knew just how many candles
to St. Jude she had lit in the last X weeks since the last phone
call...).  So Crispin and his poor neglected brother are the patron
saints of shoe and boot makers - and in England in the middle ages, it
was generally a day off/holiday for the leather trades.

El Hermoso Dormiendo's favorite saint is the patron saint of mad dogs,
whose name I can't remember at the moment. (Saint Sythny??? well, I
guess it makes a little sense considering that he's welsh...)

And just in case you doubt just how comprehensive the patron saint
business can be, I recently discovered that St. Lawrence, the patron
saint of libraries and librarians, is also the patron saint of
computers and washing machines.  Computers I can understand, but
washing machines?!?!?

OT tangential digression about Catholic saints and people who ought to
be  (ok, ok, I'm in Denver on business and I can't seem to sleep right
now...)

On a slightly more serious note, my Godmother was received and
decorated by both Pius VI and John-Paul II for all the good works she
did to help asian refugees fleeing communist or totalitarian regimes.
Perhaps back in the 2nd through 9th centuries, she would have been
considered a saint.  She was an amazing woman and the scariest grade
school teacher I ever had.  My brother called her "the three cold eyes
of the orient," the two eyes in front and the one on the back of her
head.  4th grade was one of the longest years of my life - I couldn't
get away with anything!   I'd go home with Mrs. Wong after school too
since my mom taught school in Norwich and didn't get home until after 4
- and if it snowed, mom sometimes stayed in Norwich, in which case,
we'd have dinner with the Wongs, to my undying humiliation over my
inability to eat with chopsticks.  Mrs. Wong always made real chinese
for dinner.  Her family ran the best-known chinese restaurant in
Providence for years and years - so chinese food by Mrs. Wong was just
awesome!  Her family did pretty well in the restaurant trade, started
up a bunch of other successful businesses, and bought one of the
Coolidge farms in Vermont where I spent several very magical summers
and school vacations as a kid.  The fortunes of Mrs. Wong's family in
the US is at least a non-ooky ending to a tragic story.  Some of her
family managed to escape from China during one of the many persecutions
of Chinese Christians of the 20th C.  Several others of her family were
killed.  It's not easy being Catholic in a place like China.  Mrs. Wong
and her mom and sisters got out and got lucky.  I didn't know this
until I was in college, but Mrs. Wong spent a lot of time and effort
helping other refugees, often but not always through the auspices of
Catholic Charities. One of the best known Mrs. Wong stories is the time
she took on a class to teach English to a new raft of Chinese refugees
escaping Burma. Whoever put the class together didn't realize there are
two Chinese languages.  Mrs. Wong spoke Mandarin and the new immigrants
spoke the Singapore dialect of Cantonese. So she learned Cantonese.
Later on, she learned vietnamese in order to help refugees after the
fall of South Vietnam.  She lived her faith - not a lot of people do -
because faith without works is dead (James 2:14)

So next time you pass a rack of votive candles, give some alms and
light a candle for St. Ujoep, patron saint of Chinese Catholics, for
intercession on behalf of Mrs. Wong's soul because she died two weeks
ago.  I have no doubt that she died in a state a grace.

ttfn
Therasia