[Artemisia] Headless House Training Manual

Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark cat at rocks4brains.com
Mon Oct 31 12:16:02 CST 2005

I've had several people ask me about getting copies of the Headless
House Fighting Manual, William the Lucky's opus on learning SCA
armoured combat.  (For those who are not familiar with Lucky, he's a
quadruple peer, which might call his sanity into question though it is
indisputable that he's made a huge contribution to the SCA, including a
term as society marshal.)  I have contacted Lucky and ascertained that
the Headless House manual is still available.  It's $15 including
postage, which is essentially what it costs Lucky to make copies of it
and ship it.  When I was still teaching my novice classes back in
Cynagua, I usually gave my students a copy because in my opinion, it's
probably the best work I've seen on learning how to fight, in part
because it's written so any novice will understand it without being
condescending - but it still has plenty of gems that would stand you in
good stead even after getting belted.  If you've seen me give the
little talk I do on sweet spots and the engineering mechanics of swords
as beams clamped one end, that's one of the things that Lucky worked
out. He's someone who's taken the time to think about the engineering
and physics of fighting but can still explain in terms that anyone can
understand.

I know there are folks both in 1000 Eyes and Twae Linnes interested in
copies.  It's only fair to let others know that Lucky's manual is still
available. If people are interested, I can collect money at Collegium
next week and do one big order (which Lucky would likely appreciate
since it's less discrete packages for him to have to mail) and then
pass them out at Soltice.  If you're not going to collegium (which we
all should be doing, yes?) I can send you the ordering info via email
so you can contact Lucky directly.  I can dig my copy out the box it's
in in the garage and bring it to Collegium next week (and also see if
if Reinmar can bring his too) if people like to eyeball the manual
prior to committing money.

Anyway, that's the scope on the Headless House Training Manual. So tell
me if you're interested and we'll see what we can do.

ttfn
Therasia