[Artemisia] Stefan's Florilegium files for September

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Tue Sep 6 07:22:37 CDT 2005

Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what is new
in the Florilegium this month.

I'm sure that by now most of you have heard of the recent hurricane  which
has dealt quite a blow to parts of the Kingdoms of Meridies and  Trimaris
and the soon to be Kingdom of Gleann Abhann. Many of our fellow members have
been displaced and often lost most of their material goods including SCA
stuff. Please keep in mind these folksnand keep an eye out for how you might
be able to help out. And if  some of these folks find themselves in your
area, please welcome them and help them feel at home, whether for weeks,
months or longer.

I know that there are a number of SCA oriented relief efforts going  on.
However, right now things are still in a bit of flux, so I'm not  going to
try to give an exhaustive list but here are a few:
The Meridian Disaster Relief webpage:
http://hurricane-relief.valhalla-computers.com/
A mail list set up for not only this current disaster, but also for  the
future: SCA-Disaster at yahoogroups.com

On a different note, I am considering adding an RSS service to the
Florilegium. This will allow folks with the proper software, to get more
continuous and comprehensive updates on what is new in the Florilegium. RSS
now comes standard with the latest Apple Safari browser, for instance.
Before I go to the effort of implementing and
maintaining this additional feature though, I'd appreciate comments  on
whether this would be of interest or not to the users of the Florilegium.So,
please send me an email if you have any comments, pro or con about this.
Thanks,
    Stefan

----
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail  lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information
available to others, I have placed this information  in a series of files I
call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an  article that
would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible
inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping  me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another
way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of  the site. Any
donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of
keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ANIMALS section:
    bees-Markham-art     A translation by Baroness Morgan of Anglesey of the
section on bees and beekeeping in
                            one of Gervase Markham’s books.
In the COMMERCE section:
    prostitution-lnks    Links to info on medieval prostitution by Dame
Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the LIFE-STEPS section:
    bog-bodies-lnks      Links to information on bog bodies by Dame Aoife
Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the PENNSIC section:
    Pennsic-lnks         Links to information on Pennsic by Dame Aoife Finn
of Ynos Mon.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
    poppyseeds-msg       Use of poppyseeds in period. Recipes.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
    Atlant-rapier-msg    History of rapier combat in the SCA Kingdom of
Atlantia.

Here are just some of the updated files. This month many of the SCA  history
and story files have been updated. Of course, I’m still looking for
additions to these files.
    Aten-hist-msg        Histories of the Kingdom of Atenveldt.
    Atlantia-hist-msg    Histories of the Kingdom of Atlantia.
    breadmaking-msg      Period bread recipes and re-creations.
    Caid-hist-msg        Histories of the Kingdom of Caid.
    Lochac-hist-msg      History and description of the Kingdom of Lochac.
(Australia)
    placenames2-msg      More origins and meanings of SCA placenmaes.
    SCA-as-family-msg    Sometimes the SCA is more like family.
    SCA-reasons-msg      The reasons various people joined the SCA.
    West-hist-msg        Histories of the West Kingdom.
    you-know-msg         You know you're in the SCA when...
---
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted of the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com