[Artemisia] Well here we are in the news again.

tangl tangl at myway.com
Wed Dec 13 20:41:14 CST 2006

Ah, but you don't live on this side of high school administration. The point behind enforcing this particular rule in the face of something that seems so ridiculous is because it's breaking a rule of the school. School is about learning to stay within boundaries until you can learn how to change them.

Plus, you need to think about this not like an adult would, but as a teenager would.

Adults, especially adults who have ever actually swung a real sword, lopping the heads off dandelions, know the things are unweildy and definitely not the danger a handgun is. But kids are looking for any excuse to do what they want, and kids nowadays are smart and savvy about using laws and rules against authority. Kids can threaten lawsuits and get away with bad behavior.

>From the POV of an administrator, Theiron's dad, the principal at Nampa Middle School, has had to ban any and all do-rags because they are gang representation. You may think, common sense-wise, that that sort of thing is foolish, espeically in IDAHO, but there is a pretty impressive gang presence here, more than you think a place like this could have.

Gangs in Idaho are as common as porn in Utah, and just as unappealing/appealing to conservatives and high school students  in the same ways. Meth is the drug of choice in Idaho and it is everywhere and easy to score. All things common sense would dictate doesn't thrive in an agriculture-based economy. yet it does.

Zero-tolerance means zero-tolerance, and they put it in effect because common sense is precisely what most of these people in the schools lack. You make an exception and some shining star from the debate team is fighting for the right to wear a skirt the width of a belt because it is part of her right to bear arms, or legs.

What's worse, she just might win.

Maitresse Tanglwyst de Holloway
Barony of Arn Hold
Kingdom of Artemisia

-Chuck Norris can blow bubbles with beef jerky.