[Artemisia] Well here we are in the news again.

rayzentz at aim.com rayzentz at aim.com
Thu Dec 14 13:10:31 CST 2006

 While in general, I agree with the lack of consistancy on the part of the school, the argument that "it's just a picture" is not valid.   Taking that logic further, a student could pose nude, and insist that it is acceptable, cause "it's just a picture".   The problem is the inconsistancy.   Not with the mascot, however.   That is totally irrelevant.   It's the fact that it wasn't allowed in the yearbook in one place, but was permitted in another.

Now, the reality of the situation.  Would any of you be comfortable with a student dressing up like a gangster, holding a tommy gun?   If not, then how can you justify the sword.   He could have made his point with the armor alone.

The principal is correct in not wanting to allow the picture in the senior portrait section, because of the policy.   He is incorrect in allowing the photo in the "advertisement" section, because of the policy.   Administrators need to be consistant in the enforcement of policies.  Therein lies the difficulty in this situation.

Padruig