[Artemisia] Well here we are in the news again.

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Thu Dec 14 14:06:21 CST 2006

Sondra Gibson wrote:

> LOL!  Adne, you are 'dating' yourself.  I was in girls rifle team in High
> School, in San Diego.  (sponsored by ROTC)  I have a feeling that may no
> longer exist, at least as an on-campus activity!

For my part we had archery, rifle and skeet when I was in High School.
(My former school still has a rifle club too.) Of course we also were
known to bring our own rifles to school but had to check them in the
Principle's office during classes or hunting season. Being safe and all
that. But it was really common during hunting season, after all you can
get your tags filled before 8am in Montana...(Ask me about helping to
skin a bear for a morning H.S. Biology class).

I think ultimately it depends on WHERE you were raised, and what the
social norm was there.  Nowdays, violence or "potential" violence hasn't
effected some schools at all, in others it's more like lightspeed
changes. Again, it really depends on where you are. Recent events have
changed school evironments drastically since many of us were in school.
And dating myself...that would be 1985. Many of the things I did in high
school, students just can't do anymore, that's the reality. It doesn't
matter if the students took responsibilty for their actions or if they
were going to be rule breakers. Again that is reactive change by a
nation for the "greater good". It's going to continue to happen wether
one supports it or not.

As to choosing sides on the whole SCA photo issue. I think alot of the
hullabaloo could have been avoided. In a world where you can sue anyone
for just about anything, I think it's a case that will fall to the
school side, since that is where the preponderance of law is...and the
boy with the sword got his 15 minutes of fame and is now going to be
tagged as a "potential problem student" at his school. Seen it happen.

I just wonder if years from now, they will still think it was worth it?

My 2 cents...
Juliana