[Artemisia] Re: Artemisia Digest, Vol 39, Issue 34

Ysabel de Lille ysabel_delille at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 15 21:07:38 CST 2006

>Oh, see this can be educational as well....His little brother was John (aka Prince John in the
>Robin Hood era).

Ya know, funny thing about that.  Wanna know why people hated John?  Because he charged people basically a 30% flat tax on their incomes.  We in the modern era would have been praising his name, I think, considering how much the IRS takes in comparison! ;)

>Richard was quite a crusader, though he was captured by Leopold of Austria
>on the way home from the Holy Land.  Mom had to bail him out.....it was a
>little pricey for the bail.  Approximately the GNP of England for a
>year.....

And THEN what does he do?  Sniffs and rides right back off to Jerusalem, never to return to England alive again.  Nice return on the investment.  It's amazing how history becomes what we want it to...the English want a hero, so they turn to one of the men in their illustrious line of kings who was and remained most decidedly French.  He looked down on the people he ruled, and only wanted to go off and play.  To his mind, England was there to finance his war games, and that was that.  English were below the French in his mind, having grown up mainly in France among his mother's lands.

>Actually Raven, that was a mis-quote.
>He really said that his horse "had a great cleavage". He was kinda weird that way you know.

Hmm...well, the Scots *would* know all about that animal attraction thing, wouldn't they...;)

~Ysabel de Lille, who's having a lot of fun with this right now...;)