[Artemisia] the princes in the tower

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Mon Dec 18 08:06:17 CST 2006

Catherine Helm-Clark wrote:

>> I remember the 2 skeletons  but not the "evidence" - where would  you
>> go to find that source  Morgan?

 From the Tower Website...

"In the 800-year history of the Tower, human remains have been unearthed
on a number of occasions. In 1674, two such skeletons were discovered in
a chest, by workmen effecting repairs. At first, the bones were cast
unceremoniously out with the rest of the rubbish. But someone recalled
More's old story, so the remains were retrieved, "identified" as those
of the missing Princes, and interred in Westminster Abbey. In 1933, the
urn was opened and found to contain a mixture of human and animal bones,
but precise identification as to age and sex of the deceased was
impossible. Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, currently will not permit
another examination using modern forensic testing methods."

And another tidbit...

"Were these the Princes in the Tower, and were they killed by their
wicked uncle? We will probably never know. The person with the most to
gain by killing the princes was not Richard, however, but Henry, Earl of
Richmond. Henry also claimed the throne, seeking "legitimacy" through
descent from John of Gaunt and his mistress."

Hmmm...

Juliana (library-geek)