[Artemisia] Forensics and History...was " the princes in the tower discussion"

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Wed Dec 20 12:33:44 CST 2006

Georgia Foster wrote:

> Still, with only a small chip of material, they would be able to tell if
> the skeletons were masculine or feminine.  Determining exactly WHO the
> skeletons belonged to in life, now, that takes more of the softie
> freshie bits.

Malkin, are you talking about specific DNA markers here? I know
mitochondrial DNA is considered a "female marker". Although, with these
two individuals, I doubt that the grave condition is very good.
Considering in the 1630's, I doubt that the caretakers paid all that
much attention to the bones much past gathering them up...lots of cross
contamination, weather, potentially different species present (refering
to the animal bones in the initial exhumation), man-o-man, even IF the
Crown ever allowed future studies on the remains (again I don't support
it, or reccomend it either) but the list of possible "forensic
weirdness" is endless. I'm happy to leave these two individuals to the
philosophers. There are far better studies going on with history and
materials that CAN be substantiated.

The recent tomb restoration, exhumation and reburial of Cosimo I and
Eleanora of Toledo and their children come to mind...one child of thiers
had been traditionally listed as having been "violently murdered"...and
was actually disproven by the new study (written period records and
physical examination didn't substantiate the theory/storyline either),
although they did find that individual had been very ill from a advanced
bone wasting disease...which in a wealthy Renaissance Italian family,
was definitely not as glamorous a passing as being listed as murdered.
Makes you wonder doesn't it? If one can catch the actual program on TV,
it's worth an hour of your time.

BTW- History Channel/Discovery International is an evil place if you
feel the need to watch TV.

Juliana