[Artemisia] February's Fiber Workshop

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Mon Feb 20 18:18:27 CST 2006

Hi Michael,

There are quite a few things you need to consider when making a spinning
wheel.  Do talk to some of the very knowledgeable people in your area.  And
if you have actually experienced using a wheel, so you really understand
it's ins and outs, it helps.  I tried to learn to spin on a homemade wheel,
a whole lot of years ago.  Mind you this wheel was made by someone who'd
been making them and selling them for quite a while.  I couldn't figure out
why I couldn't get the hang of it.  Well - it was the wheel.  It looked
beautiful, and had all the right parts, but the balance wasn't quite right,
nor was the line up of wheel to bobbin.  As soon as I tried using a
different wheel everything became *so* much easier.  Funny thing is, I
recently was loaned a wheel that turns out to have been made by the same man
as the first one I tried to learn on years ago.  I *still* find it difficult
to make that wheel work!

Gefjon
(who really envies the folks who are close enough to get together for these
fiber workshops!)