[Artemisia] RE:Any War news yet?

Bruce Padget bapadget at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 05:32:48 CST 2006

>From the rapier field:

Artemisia fielded 20, and we were joined by four from
the East, wiley buggers all of them.

We were by far the smallest force, and on average the
youngest, yet our rapierists acquitted themselves
extremely well.  Atenveldt-Artemisia won one scenario,
"Kill the Commanders," proving that one need not be
aged to exercise good treachery. :D  Our own Lord
Elias got the kill on (if memory serves) the
Outlandish Commander, which was half the victory.

To me the most amazing was a bridge battle in which
Artemisia, almost entirely unaided, held a bridge for
28 1/2 minutes, which I'm fairly sure is a record in
the high-speed world of rapier melee.  (The time is
not a guess -- the marshalls were timing, and if we'd
held it for 30 minutes, the day would have been ours.
This is not a complaint!  Doing the impossible makes
you mighty, victory is just a bonus.)

On Saturday we defended a town filled with choke
points, one of which was assigned to Artemisia.
Seeing how we were arrayed, Caid-Outlands re-deployed
to bring the bulk of their guns and much of their
weight to bear on us.  (Nothin' says lovin' like
having the enemy concentrate on you. :D)

Commanders, White Scarves, and wiley bastards from
around the Known World repeatedly came to me all
weekend, complimenting the honor, style, and tactical
acumen of our people, and they were often surprised to
hear that the ones they singled out were among our
youngest.

Our Crown Princess graced the field Saturday.  As we
could not spare the folk to give her a proper guard,
she was in mixing it up, just another (extremely
fashionable, tho) soldier in our line.

Friday before things started, Her Majesty Artemisia
attended our field to announce her intention to make
Lord Azir a Defender of the White Scarf.  In honor of
this, after the day's mayhem, Azir met all comers.
(It's like being baby knight at Estrella, except the
bruises are smaller :D)  Azir recieved his scarf
Saturday morning, in time to permit him to take the
field in the White Scarves tournament.

I hope readers can forgive the bluntness -- but in
years past, observers around the Known World had noted
a distressing level of pissivity in the rapier war
point.  There were several -- including myself -- who
had advocated doing away with the rapier war point.
This war changed my mind.  From what I saw and heard,
the rapier melees went more smoothly than any other
year, going back to the legendary First War Point.

I do regret that we did not take the rapier war point.
 From what I've heard from my command and other
Kingdoms, I'm not sure that matters much :D

Regards,
Niccolo
Abbastanza Buon Non E Abbastanza Buono
bapadget at yahoo.com