[Artemisia] Fw: Stefan's Florilegium files for January

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Fri Jan 6 06:59:58 CST 2006

Greetings to the Gentle Folk of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January 2006, detailing the new
and some of the updated files for this month.

I also make this article available to editors of SCA newsletters on  my list
several weeks in advance. This allows them the time they need  to meet their
publication deadlines, yet still be able to publish the
latest article. If you are an editor and would like to be added to my  list,
please contact me.

I am always looking for additional good articles for the Florilegium.  If
you know of any web sites, especially ones run by individuals,  where there
are articles you think deserve a wider distribution,
please send me the details and I will contact the authors for permission.

Thanks,
   Stefaan
-----
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail  lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make  this information
available to others, I have placed this information  in a series of files I
call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that
would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send  it to me for
possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for  more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping  me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,  editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more  details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another
way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of  the site. Any
donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
    body-piercngs-msg    Body piercings, other than for ear rings.
In the COMBAT section:
    Iron-Rose-lnks       Links to info on women warriors, past and
                            present by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the CULTURES section:
    Byzant-Cerem-art     “Byzantine Ceremony” by Baron Hrolf  Herjolfssen.

In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
    medvl-humor-lnks     Links to info on medieval humor by Dame  Aoife Finn
of Ynos Mon.
    wintr-sports-lnks    Links to info on medieval winter sports by Dame
Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

In the FEASTS section:
    Drgn-Drmt-fst-art    Dragon Dormant Baronial Investiture feast
                            by Lord Petru cel paros Voda.
 Rus-Vik-daybd-art   A Russian/Viking dayboard done by Mistress  Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa.

In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
    crabapples-msg       Period crabapples and their uses.

In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
    confctny-boxs-msg    Period confectionary boxes.   Manus-Christi-art
"References for the Manus Christi  confection" by Johnnae llyn Lewis.
    Manus-Christi-msg    A medieval confection of sugar, rosewater and
possibly gold or pearls.
    pastry-logs-msg      ‘jelly-roll’ pastries made of a flat dough spread
with filling and then rolled up.
    Sugarplat-Adv-art    “Adventures with Sugar Plate” by Count Gunthar.

In the RELIGION section:
    Psaltrs-Rose-lnks    Links to info on medieval Psalters and Rosaries by
Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

Here is one of the updated files.
    coconuts-msg         Period use of coconuts. Opening them.
    firearms-msg         Early firearms and cannon. Reproductions.
    pastries-msg         Medieval pastries. Recipes.
---
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com