[Artemisia] Preserving My Hands

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:52:15 CST 2006

This question is aimed primarily at needleworkers, but I suspect it's
applicable to anyone who does work that requires fine manual motor control.
All opinions welcome.

Between arts & science projects, Xmas presents, and garb construction I've
been doing a lot of hand sewing lately. More and more I've been feeling
soreness around the wristbone directly below my smallest finger as well as
tightness in the muscles of my forearm. Taking more frequent breaks and
doing upper body stretches does help, but not as much as I'd hoped. It also
slows me down.

I'm thinking of wearing one of those Hand-Eze gloves recommended for
quilters who suffer carpal tunnel or tendonitis. Has anybody used one of
these? Is it worth the effort and money? Or do you get better results from
some other method? Pain cremes, specific exercises, a certain frame....

I'm trying to teach my off-hand to stitch, but it's slow going.

Many thanks,

<twinge>
Aurora de Portugal
Loch Salann