[Artemisia] Re:We're the Society for Creative Anything

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 20:12:08 CST 2006

  artemisia-request at lists.gallowglass.org wrote:     RE: We're the Society for Creative Anything

  First let me quickly say the good news:  my family and I have decided to stay in Montana and move my Dad out here possibly to BSK.  Very exciting!  We took our house off the market last Friday, thanks to everyone who showed interest.

  Society for Creative Anything.  To me the SCA is a starting point for learning about history.  Many of us care deeply about making the SCA the best it can be.  We have a high level of commitment and it's easy to focus on our expectations for others, who don't share our level of interest in historical facts. We can't force them.  However, glaring inaccuracies could be kept to a minimum using gentle and positive peer pressure.

  Chivalry can include a lot of tact.  I think we can all agree that we don't want to scare people off by telling them everything they do wrong.  What we can do is tell them what they are doing right!  "That's a lovely authentic hoo-ha you have."  Start off with a positive and see how open they are to new information.  "I see you have a Celtic persona.  We're having an A&S/meeting/get together at so-and-so's house next week where we'll be discussing Celtic thingies.  Would you like to come?"

  Think before you speak.  If a person is wearing or doing something OOP *that can't be fixed right then*  you might consider backing off.  Pulling someone aside and asking, "Would you mind covering your cooler or putting in your tent please?"  I think is fine.  "Your gown is electric pink & the sleeves are all wrong."  How embarrassing!  They may not have anything else to wear!  They become uncomfortable the rest of the event and never come back.  Worse yet, they may tell everyone they know what a bunch of @$$holes Scadians are and our members drop.  If you feel strongly about their error, you may offer to help them yourself, or take someone in their home group aside and let them know their new person may need some help.  Always offer a solution.   Glad I'm staying in Artemisia,  Arwen/Esther