[Artemisia] Re:We're the Society for Creative Anything

tangl tangl at myway.com
Mon Jan 23 14:53:13 CST 2006

For my two bits, the Society for Creative Anything works for me in a lot of ways. As was mentioned before, gentle and polite peer pressure guides the newcomers' next garb choice. The doodler becomes the Scribe. The ken-do guy becomes the Squire. The Newbie-Without-A-Cluebie becomes the Senechale.

This is the way of the SCA, especially in Artemisia. The folks that want to nudge folks towards more period practices, do so. That's how people who learned to dance Korabushka and Scotland the Brave from Jihan Isfahani know how to do those Snooty Italian Dances (tm) these days.

Those folks that don't wish to pursue the more period endeavors in one direction invariably become folks with quite a period portfolio somewhere. Take Lord Jean-Richard de Holloway, for example. A photographer by choice, not so into the garb making and sporting a red suede-look cavalier outfit in 1989 has surpassed his SCA siblings by carving amazing tributes out of stone and wood. And, the outfit he sports today is Japanese, right down to the details.

We all know we have newbie skeletons in our armoirs, some so far back, they're in Narnia. But even Sir Decker Hawkswood, who calls himself a bit of a goof-off, has some seriously mad skill sets! The SCA stands more for hope and freedom to become your finest creation, to locate the soulmate you've dreamed of, and to not just find a niche where you are accepted, but to carve that niche for others to do so as well. Society for Creative Anything? Yeah, I'm good with that.

I am confused about one thing though: Could someone explain this thing where you don't camp in evening gowns? Theiron tried to explain it to me, but I don't understand.

Maitresse Tanglwyst de Holloway
Barony of Arn Hold
Kingdom of Artemisia

-If you can't be a good example, at least you can be a horrible warning.~ Catherine