[Artemisia] It's the period pumpkin saga

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 21:32:57 CST 2006

Latest update on the "Period Pumpkin Saga."  Last Thanksgiving I looked up the  pumpkin pie recipe at the Libby/Nestle site.  They had a pumpkin history and trivia page, so being a history buff, I checked it out while I was there.
    http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/libbys/trivia_answers.aspx#1

Here is the quote from the above site:

  "Pumpkin History and Pies
  Q. Where were the first pumpkins grown?
  A. Pumpkins are believed to have been first cultivated in Central America.  Spanish and Portuguese explorers carried pumpkin seeds back to Europe in the 14th century.  In North America, Native Americans grew pumpkins for food long before the first Europeans arrived on the continent in the 1600s."

  Having insomnia, I decided I had nothing better to do than write to Libby Company and ask who these 14th century Spanish and Portuguese explorers were who beat the 1492 *15th century* C. Columbus voyage to the New World.  Here is their bizarre response.  I'm framing my reply.  Input is appreciated.  Arwen/Esther
  P.S. the SCA does strange things to a person