[Artemisia] Queen Elizabeth I Exhibit

Sandra Holladay sandrah at webpipe.net
Wed Jan 25 19:55:14 CST 2006

For those interested in Queen Elizabeth I...

Through Feb 16 2006 at the Salt Lake City Main Library – 10 AM to 7 PM
http://www.slcpl.lib.ut.us/master_events.jsp?parent_id=9&page_id=21
Elizabeth I: Ruler and Legend
The story of England's Queen Elizabeth I has fascinated and inspired the
world during the four centuries since her reign. Elizabeth claimed to have
"the heart and stomach of a king," like her father, Henry VIII, and a long
line of Tudor monarchs. She also had a brilliant and cunning mind that
guided her judgments and helped her transform England into one of the most
powerful countries in the world. The traveling exhibition Elizabeth I: Ruler
and Legend examines Elizabeth's long and colorful life and reign.

Organized by the Newberry Library's Center for Renaissance Studies, in
collaboration with the American Library Association Public Programs Office,
the exhibition is made possible through major grants from the National
Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), with additional support from the Vance
Family Fund and the University of Illinois at Chicago. It is based upon a
major exhibition of the same name mounted by the Newberry Library in 2003 to
commemorate the reign of Queen Elizabeth I on the 400th anniversary of her
death. The Newberry Library, Chicago, is an independent humanities research
library which is free and open to the public.

Further information:
http://www.ala.org/ala/ppo/currentprograms/elizabethi/elizabethiruler.htm
Elizabeth I: Ruler and Legend is a new traveling exhibition for libraries
that commemorates the 400th anniversary of the death of Queen Elizabeth I of
England.  The exhibition encourages audiences not only to reacquaint
themselves with the Queen, but also to become more familiar with the
historical and cultural forces that shaped her personality and her time and
examine the mixture of history and legend that continues to surround her
today. The traveling exhibition is based on a major exhibition of the same
title, which opened at the Newberry Library of Chicago on September 30,
2003.

Two copies of the exhibit are traveling to 20 libraries (for a total of 40
libraries) around the country between October 2003 and March 2006. Each copy
consists of six colorful, freestanding photo panels incorporating
representations of artifacts from the Newberry's exhibition and new text
written for the exhibition by the curator, Clark Hulse, professor of English
and art history at the University of Illinois at Chicago. The sections of
the traveling exhibition investigate Elizabeth's life and career as a head
of state, reveal the political workings of her court, examine the cultural
and diplomatic worlds of England and Europe in the late 16th century, and
explore the legacy of Queen Elizabeth from the time of her death to today.

Libraries on the tour host the exhibition for a six-week period. All
participating libraries will present at least one program that is open to
the public that features a lecture/discussion by a scholar on exhibition
themes. All showings of the exhibition are free and open to the public.

A public service announcement brought to you by
THL Marisa nic Griogar
Kingdom of Artemisia Web Minister