[Artemisia] Re: Care and feeding of Canvas

Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil archergodwin at cableone.net
Sun Jun 18 18:13:36 CDT 2006

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 08:39:42 -0600

>From: "Caointiarn" <caointiarn1 at bresnan.net>
>Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Care and feeding of Canvas
>	<artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org>
>
>The stains I don't mind.  It's the mildew I'd like to see gone far
>away.........
>
>Morgan

Well having had a severly mildewed tent, I went through the same. I had
packed my tent from the Estrella two or three years ago, when the park
just about floated away. Once the the tub was in storage, the whole out
of sight, out of mind thing hit, and I forgot the tent was wet......for
5 months. You would not believe what the tent looked like...... ugh!

What I ended up doing is this:

During a very hot period of time, with no rain, of about a week, I setup
the tent.

1. Power-washed the canvas really good, and let completely dry.
2. I then sprayed every little spot of mildew I could find with
Steri-Fab. ("www.sterifab.com")
3. After each application, I let the sun just bake the solution dry on
the tent.
4. After several Steri-Fab treatments (~ 2-3 per day for each spot),  I
switched to lemon juice treatments.
Mixed up a fairly strong solution of lemon juice and water (I cup
concentrated juice to one gallon of water), and treated each
spot several times. After several lemon juice treatments (~ 2-3 per day
for each spot),  I mixed a thinner solution, and sprayed the whole tent.
Letting the tent completey dry and bake in 96-100 degree sun (backyard).

The steri-fab killed the mildew in it's tracks, halted any spread. The
lemon-juice mildly bleached the canvas out. (bleach can damage the
fibers and make the tent material weaker)

FYI: Steri-Fab also makes dry packets of the stuff to put in with items
in storage. So a slightly damp would benefit greatly from this little
packet.

Godwin