[Artemisia] Security, was...HG John & HE Symonne de Clare need our help

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Tue Jun 27 09:55:02 CDT 2006

tangl wrote:

> It astounds me that people would steal that stuff, especially
> since they don't think, "Awesome!" like we do. They think "Money."

You bet. An unattended, loaded parked trailer, just screams opportunity
to a thief. I think it's more likely they were hoping for appliances or
quick sale items, and ended up with SCA Gear they probably won't be able
to get rid of easily.

This is a tragedy because we know the individuals involved, but this
kind of crime is not new. I know of at least two merchants who had their
entire stock taken right out of their driveways or off their vehicle
when they stopped for the night.  It is becoming more common too.
Especially in more urban cities. Trailers are easy and MOBILE. A thief
can just drive up, hook up and drive off, deal with what they find
inside later on.

A co-worker suggested this to me. If you or a friend move with a trailer
and can't unload right away, pay to have your trailer stored in a secure
lot for a couple of days. Even, if you have to pay for a month's rental,
it's worth it in the end. Heck, your insurance company may even help pay
for it. Can't say enough about locks either (trailer, hitch, door what
have you...)

I think some of the problem can be taken care of for future SCA
travelers by shaking off our "everyone is so nice, it will be safe here"
attitudes, and making sure our valuables, vehicles are secure on the
road and at home. You are never going to stop a determined thief, but
you can make it harder for them. It only takes a second to check, and a
second for somebody to take advantage if we don't.

I wish the world was like in our Dream, but it's not...

Juliana