[Artemisia] What thieves look for, be a hard target

earlalan at srv.net earlalan at srv.net
Wed Mar 1 16:40:31 CST 2006

Greetings All,

Tangl's comments are pretty right on.  Most residential burglaries happen
during the day, when most people are out working.  And typically the bad
guys "case" the house first.  Locally we've had a few bad boys who went
into unlocked garages at night and went through vehicles inside the
garages.  Amazing what people leave in their cars in their garage!

Be a hard target.  Use motion lights, dogs, alarms and good neighbors, as
Tangle suggested.  Remember the bad boys don't think like you do, so
trying to "understand" them is usually futile.  They're basically another
species that looks alot like regular people.  And finally, the VAST
majority of money gained from crime is used to buy dope.

If you see anything goofy or suspicious in your neighborhood, GET THE
LICENSE PLATE of the suspect vehicle.  This is really critical.  Much
intel can be gained from that plate by the police, but if you report a
dark brown little Ford.......well, there's a lot of them running around.

Good luck!

Alan