[Artemisia] Silent Heralds

Jason Mohler jmohler2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 9 16:34:42 CST 2006

ss.org] On Behalf Of Dawn Tavares
> Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:32 PM
> To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org
> Subject: RE: [Artemisia] Silent Heralds
>
> THL Isabeau de S. trumpeted:
>
> >Damn, I love a well researched response. Go Aurora!
>
> Well, the kudos belong to the author of the article, really.
> All I did was conduct a web search.
>

> >As for re-doing colors, Heralds office colors are
> society-wide standard, I
> >believe as all major office badges are.
>
> Is this particular office a Society-wide standard? I get the
> feeling that
> the position is still in the experimental stages. I looked for a
> representation of officers' badges at the sca.org website,
> but I didn't find
> anything under the subdivisions for Officers or the Heraldry.
> Does anyone
> have a direct URL for that?

It is not society-wide yet.  The drive for Silent Heralds began about 4
years ago.  I don't have a direct URL for it, but if you want, I can
backchannel you the e-mail address of the lady who started the Silent Herald
drive in Middle/Aethelmarc.

> >There is reference in the docment to other kingdom also
> using a version of
> >the Aethelmarc standard. I think we should open up a dialog
> about adopting
> >such a standard and encouraging participation.

I know Middle uses the same standard.

[SNIP]

> I didn't see where the document mentioned how many silent
> heralds Aethelmarc
> has. From the training and reporting process described, I
> gather that the
> kingdom started with a single ASL interpreter at the royal
> level who spread
> the teaching with the goal of having one assigned to every barony.

You're correct.  The lady in question has two hearing-impared children and
saw the need for obvious reasons.

Like I said, I can point you towards her, if you'd like.

Matheus dePetyn
Formerly of Dun Braga
Currently on Crusade