[Artemisia] Festering again, I see...

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Mon Mar 13 07:41:01 CST 2006

El Hermoso Dormiendo wrote:

> While I don't think I've ever been at an SCA event in ANY kingdom that ran "on
> time" to any great extent,

You will find as one attends events out of Kingdom, and in many of our
own groups, they run very close to the published schedules. I've even
been to Coronations that ran within a half an hour of the published
schedule. So it can happen.

I find that generally when events don't run on time, it is because
people have ALLOWED it to happen, or just don't care. Things happen,
schedules change, that's life. A 10:00am start should mean 10:00am, and
if a member of the populace CHOOSES to arrive late, then they choose not
to participate in that activity. But with a schedule they knew what they
would be giving up or planning ahead for.

As for asking the Crown/Coronet for input, I have never had a person get
upset when asked for basic information. In fact it is usually the
opposite. All it takes is an email or phone call, and a couple of basic
questions. (When would you like your opening court? Are you having a
tourney, what time would you expect that to start? Are you having an
evening court? Do I need to coordinate this with your Herald? You get
the idea.) The coronet will also then have an idea of when THEY will
need to be there. On the side, when Kian and I sat the baronial thrones
we saw it as part of our JOB, as well as our responsibility to be "on
time". Sometimes it's nice to have a reminder of when that time actually is.

As Master Niccolo pointed out, many of us are here for the comraderie
and entertainment of being spur of the moment. That's great, but not
everyone works that way.

last note and then I'll go away...I agree with Lord Sean, I cannot say
enough about having a published menu for a feast. Even a basic outline
is acceptable. Calling the cook to find out what the entire menu is,
takes time from THEIR schedule, and after the 50th time of repeating it
I am certain they are geting frustrated too.

If there is a published menu or an order of dishes, then I as a consumer
can look at it and make a decision. If I have a question on an
ingredient or dish, THEN I can contact the cook for clarification. As to
having a published feast time, geez, that's only common sense, the cook
needs to have time to plan and work their magic, and when it's
ready...it should be served. End of story.

Sean, is there still room on that bench?

HE Juliana