[Artemisia] FWD Warning on Waterproofing Chemicals

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 16 11:00:00 CST 2006

Seeing as how we're beginning preparations for Uprising....
Aurora de Portugal
BLS

~~~~~~~~~~
Well after the wet weekend we have had I’m sure many
of you are getting ready to re waterproof your gear
and pavilions for the upcoming season. Before you do
please take a moment to read this mail and wear a R95
respirator.

Last Thursday two of my members and I treated our
canvas with dangerous unforeseen consequences.  We
purchased a canvas sealant from West Marine. We read
the directions that said to use it in a
well-ventilated area so we laid the canvas out in my
open backyard and proceeded to spray the canvas with
the sealant. Well this endeavor ended with none of us
attending fair as planned, My two members both ended
up needing medical attention and feeling a bit ill for
a few days. I ended up in the hospital for five days,
on bed rest for another week and may have permanent
damage to my lungs from the chemicals in the water
repellent.

The moral of this story is to wear a respirator they
are inexpensive ($10-15) at Home Depot. They are
called an R95 respirator and look like a paper mask
with a charcoal filter in them. Even if the bottle
makes it seem safe and simple protect yourself or
better yet have it done professionally.

Please Cross Post :)
None of us ever thought that it would be dangerous, the bottle didn't
indicate it.

Emilia Breton
GM of Kergans Renaissance guild