[Artemisia] Re: you should have seen the one that got away...!

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 21:18:56 CST 2006

artemisia-request at lists.gallowglass.org wrote:     What I want to know is: where'd you get the period fishing rods? I
want one so bad!

ttfn
Therasia von Chum

  Humm...funny you should ask!  My husband is an avid fly-fisherman and my brother-in-law owns an Orvis store in Connecticut.  I looked around on his book shelf and here's what I found.

  The first published essay on sport fishing was in 1496, The Treatise of Fishing with an Angle, and was written by Dame Juliana Berners.  Dame Juliana gives step by step directions for rod making, hook making, fly-tying, making your line, and general fishing advice.  A great book on Dame Juliana's Treatise is "The Origins of Angling" by John McDonald ISBN1-55821-587-5  McDonald's book contains modernized versions of the original manuscript, description of the manuscript, and facsimiles with their transcripts on the facing pages.  Izaak Walton's The Compleat Angler is a few years OOP and was published in 1653.  Hope this puts you on the right path!  Arwen