[Artemisia] The Meaning of Hubris

Cat no1home at onewest.net
Mon Mar 27 16:59:24 CST 2006

It's always a bad thing for me to be home sick with time on my
hands.  (Well, to be truthful, I have a whole pile of work to do that
I can do at home but I just finished with the most obnoxious set of
well logs - just to discover that I have to now filter them, which
means a boring evening spent programming...blech!)

So anyway, there I was home sick for the day with time on my hands,
sick and tire of well logs, and the Evyl Procrastinatrix popped out
of my head and whispered in my ear: "Kingdom A&S, Kingdom A&S, must
get the collar back, get the collar, the collar, the collar..."  You
see?  It happens every time I'm not being kept busy with work.  A von
Tux with time on her hands is a very dangerous thing...

Besides, I gotta enter Kingdom A&S.  Constance has been champion
twice - and that's one time more than I've been champion!  Now we
can't be having that, can we?!?  Yes, an even better reason to get
the collar back!  We can't have Constance getting uppity, no no no
no...!

Ok, ok, I can hear the chorus now: "I'm not gonna to enter if
Therasia's gonna enter.  It's too hard to win if Therasia enters..."

Oh people, let's get a life here!  Of course I can be beaten.  I lose
competitions more than I win them.  In previous Kingdom A&S
competitions even.  Come on, I dare you to beat me.  PLEASE BEAT
ME!!!  I want someone to beat me.  I want some competition folks!
It's not as much fun to win if no body is going to enter.  I want
lots and lots of competition.  Look, I'll make it easy.  I'll
handicap myself.  Here's the gig:

I will enter the minimum number of entries to make a run for the
championship: five entries in three categories.
I will have only 5 entries.
I will enter only 3 categories.
I'll give you a sneak preview of what I'll enter: leather, alchemy,
fine arts
No entry will have ever been entered in any competition before.
Four of the five don't even exist yet: I will make them "from
scratch" between now and the first week of May.  (I already started
one project so it won't be from scratch.)

Mind you, I'm not at all going to cut back any on quality,
documentation, or effort whatsoever.  But I will endeavor to win with
the very minimum  required to make a run for the championship with
essentially all new entries.

And just to sweeten the pot, one of those fine arts entries will be
Sage Cover art.  If anyone can enter a Sage Cover that can beat my
Sage Cover in points, the one with the highest points will go home
with either my famous 15th C. French cheese custard tart (if cooking
is permitted on site) or the 15th C. meat pie made from the recipe I
gave Mistress Ariel that she used for the feast at the most recent M
Eyes event (which is excellent cold and so doesn't need cooking on
site).

In case you were wondering, I have confirmed that this year's Kingdom
A&S Championship competition will be "old style" (i.e., no regional
compeitiions will be held beforehand - the event in May in Loch
Salaan is the whole enchilada) using the formal categories and
judging system as per the kingdom A&S handbook (online, follow the
link off the kingdom website).

I think most everyone will be relieved to know that I promise not to
enter any garb this time.   ;-)

ttfn
Therasia von MakingTroubleAgain