[Artemisia] Re: Artemisia Digest, Vol 30, Issue 46

Chuck Heisler Jr. conradvz at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 16:13:53 CST 2006

Actually,

  I disagree.  I don't understand why simple Crown banishment until the legal situation was resolved is any less effective than a 'temporary suspension of membership'.

  If people are uneasy with such a person, then that person needs to be cordially UNinvited until the problem is resolved.  At which point, the BOD can then go on its merry way by permanently suspending a child molester.  Or it won't have to do anything at all if the person is not guilty.

  In this case, again, I think the BOD is too far from the problem.

  I think it should be under local control.  What if the charge is false.  Then you have a 'temporary suspension' with no local way to reinstate.  We'd be waiting on the Society Seneschal to do it.

  I don't think this example supports the proposal.

  C.

gregero <gregero at gmail.com> wrote:
  Example....

A year or so ago an East Kingdom (if i remember correctly) member was
charged with molesting several SCA children. The was no way at the time to
quickly suspend the membership of that member. I think we can all agree in
that situation a temporary suspension would be appropriate. This was also
not a Kingdom issue per se, but a corporate issue IMO.

My point is there can be situations where something like this could and
should be used. I agree the wording is poor and there is no system of checks
and balances.

Gregory