[Artemisia] Comments regarding latest BoD announcment

naomi odermann magickalsea at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 16:44:26 CST 2006

I completely agree.

Spencer Maschek <smaschek at hotmail.com> wrote:
My first question to you would be, are you just paranoid, or insecure. Upon
reading this it sounds like it is not a bad idea, (and I have noo intentions
on ever being apart of the BOD) as it is saying that peolple that should
probably be sanctioned due to restrictions cause by the breaking of Mundane
laws, now can be without the headache of excessive, and redundant paperwork
throughout the many reigns that a mundane court of law can take. For
example, some who has been caught under the clause of Lewd and Lacivious
behavior (meaning bad sexual things to others, just so you get it) and is
not allowed by Mundane law to participate anywhere that there might be
children around can now be banished till such time as the court system has
decided whether or not that person is a threat to society in general. Now I
for one would rest a lot easier knowing that someone like that can be
restricted from activities that could cause potential harm to children,
either ones under my care or friends I know that have little ones. It is
merely stating that should someone break mundane law and could be dealing
with the Mundane court system (which could take up to 2 years pending on the
severity and how backed up the Mundane court system is) that the royalty
that may have imposed a temp banishment does not have to reinstate the
paperwork and explain it to the new incoming royalty and they don't have to
REFILE the paperwork that was already done. It is saying that breaking
Mundane laws that get you in trouble is punishable by resctricted access to
the SCA. We in the "society" as a whole don't want to explain to our
friends that "yes this is a family based organization. Oh, no you don't
really have to worry about that guy, he's harmless and as soon as he is
cleared of his rape charge he won't have his pic plastered everywhere. And
that guy who went to jail for Drugs is safe now too, he spent some time in
prison and hasn't been caught since. However if you want some he can hook
you up." This way we can call it a family organization with little to worry
about new people bringing their kids into a safe environment.

Vlad's Lady
Artemesia

>Think about it.
>
>They have been handing out about 5 R&D's and sanctions per meeting,
>sometimes as high as 8, sometimes just 1 or 2. There have probably been
>over
>100 sanctions and R&D's, maybe even 200+ for all I know.
>
>EVERY single one was unanimous?
>
>What a coincidence.
>
>Society Seneschals have begun investigations with the statement 'What are
>we
>going to do about that little bastard' and yet still they cling to the
>fiction that they are 100% impartial and never once have sent on an R&D or
>Sanction to the BoD that the accused was not 100% guilty.
>
>Probably the vast majority deserved it, but there is no way that not even
>ONE BoD member has ever said 'I dissent' when it came time to vote.
>
>And let's not forget, the Society Seneschal is not only hand picked by the
>BoD, they are nearly always former or future members of the BoD as well.
>
>So, what is a better solution?
>
>There should be a fast track Sanction applied by the Society Seneschal ONLY
>when someone has been CHARGED with a serious mundane Crime that affects the
>Society.
>
>That's it. No loopholes allowing for personal agendas.
>
>But that won't happen. We have no check on the Corporation, no way to
>influence the make up of the BoD. Mark my words, they will go ahead and do
>whatever they want.
>
>Someday I'll be executively sanctioned I'm sure.
>
>Dissent is not tolerated by the BoD.
>
>In Service,
>
>Sir Daniel-An Tir
>(mka Dan Solum membership # 39372)

"Justice is not a flexible tool.
Unless we all do our part to ensure that justice is applied equally
to all human beings, we are a party to its abuse.
We must stand together to protect the rights of others."

- Leonard Peltier