[Artemisia] asking someone to leave

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 07:55:03 CST 2006

In my experience, we generally follow the polite forms.

1)  we tell them the nature of the issue and ask them to leave, but we be
nice

2)  we tell them that they have alredy been asked, nicely, to leave

3)  we tell them to leave

4)  we recruit a lot of big imposing grumpy looking folks to 'help' them
leave (and more for crowd control if necessary).

somewhere between steps three and four, we place a call to local authorities
if it is necessary.

In my entire SCA career, I have only seenthe first step taken about a dozen
times, and have only witness it excalate to step four on two occasions.  One
was a rape case at an Estrella (where we did call the cops) ... years and
years and years and years ago.  One was a really drunk male who was using
lighter fluid to make himself a fire-breather, (where we did NOT call the
cops, but we did get somone to make sure he made it home safe).

Now ... there is some touchy-feely-soft-and-squishy stuff involved ... most
expecially involving steps one and two.

There should also be site security involved, but not a posse ... not at
first.

and if anyone has trouble with the nice part of telling someone to leave,
let me know ... if I can tell the preacher that he is not welcome at my
father-in-law's funeral (long story, very sad) ... getting someone to leave
the site should not be a problem.

NOTE: in no case do I discuss asking the individual to NEVER come back,
though in the rape case, the reigning royalty did banish the accused from
their presence.  I did not follow up on that case to find out what happened
after.

My two pence ... or perhaps my four pence, dependant on the accounting

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com

Cynicism is not realistic or tough - it is unrealistic and kind of cowardly,
because it means you don't have to try ... Peggy Noonan