[Artemisia] More on BoD Proposal

Theodora (AKA Rachael) ladythea at myway.com
Wed Mar 29 17:26:52 CST 2006

The problem is that a banishment from the Royal Presence (the most common type of banishment, and the one that seems to require the least justification) is not enforceable if the Royalty is not at the event.  At least theoretically, a "temporary suspension of membership" could imply that the SCA group was trying to do something to ensure the protection of the majority of members/participants.  However, I am not sure how you would enforce that with someone who is not a paid member of the SCA.

I don't think the proposal is worded well, and I don't think there are enough checks and balances.  But I do believe it would be a good idea to have a set Society-wide policy that would be legally enforceable, or at least have defined criteria, rather than asking my friends to play goon-squad so I can make sure members of the populace are safe from harm, even perceived harm. I don't feel right just making people feel unwelcome, especially in this day in age, where it does not take much to bring a civil lawsuit on another person for defamation of character, assault, and any number of other charges that could come from simply asking someone to leave an event.

FWIW,
Thea

"You are all learners, doers, teachers."  -Richard Bach