[Artemisia] Re: [Summits] Re: [cathedral] Comments regarding latestBoD announcment

Spencer Maschek smaschek at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 15:27:51 CST 2006

Sir Dan,
With all due respect to your title and long standing particitpation in the
SCA. If the problems are as real and extensive as you put them, then why
don't you make some suggestion on how to fix them, rather constantly saying
it is broke and "they" are ruining it. BoD bashing is not the answer, all it
does is cause people to wonder why you are spreading hate and discontent.
Just a curiosity. Maybe you have a personal beef with the BoD, maybe friends
of yours have gone through the R&D process and you feel it was unjustified.
I personally know Aveloc (I feel his was Justified and he needed it. Maybe
someday  the BoD might reconsider allowing him to play, however with his
actions, I doubt it.) With Ibrahim (who I also know) I don't know all the
facts as I have chosen not to discuss it with him, however I do feel that
there was enough cause for the Peerage of the Kingdom and BoD to take
action. In the case of many others I feel that without knowing all of the
facts from all sides, it is better that I trust those involved to make the
right decision. No different than I choose to let the Courts of our country
make decisions, rather than rely on vigilantism. Just a choice, but a valid
one in my opinion.
I have known several people who have been banished and then allowed back
into the SCA who are better for it. So I would say that it is not damaging
to the SCA nor to the individual who chooses to learn and grow from their
experience. If a person chooses not to, that is their challenge not mine nor
my fellow players. If a person makes a bad choice and it infringes on the
safety and well being of a group then that group has the right to remove
them. If the Legal entity chooses to remove potentially dangerous or
damaging influences then I support that entities right to do so. No
different then a corporation firing someone under investigation for criminal
activities. (this is legal and happens frequently in this country). We are a
volunteer organization and should enjoy the same rights and privilages of
any other organization.
So if you don't have a way to fix it and a desire to do so, then there is
always the option of leaving and forming a group in your own likeness. As
for me and mine we support our officers, our Crowns, and our Corporate
Leaders. We will make comment and suggestion to them, we will openly debate
issues as they arise, but in the end we will support the whole of the
organization rather than try to tear it apart with hate and discontent.
Lord Vladimir Rurik Sheremetyev
(may not have a title, probably never will, but I love the game and support
the leadership)
Tangl for BoD! :)