[Artemisia] Spammers Deserve Punishment

El Hermoso Dormiendo ElHermosoDormido+aerie at dogphilosophy.net
Fri Mar 31 21:25:37 CST 2006

On Friday 31 March 2006 21:09, El Hermoso Dormiendo wrote:
[...]
> Admittedly, someone would have to double-check the wording of the
> "CAN-SPAM" act to be sure, but I THINK this spammer meets the terms to be
> subject to criminal sanctions under the act[...]
Well, don't have time tonight to try to dig through the actual act, but
according to an article aimed at "e-commerce" emailers on the subject:

"In short, CAN-SPAM:

    * Prohibits fraudulent or deceptive subject lines, headers, return
addresses, etc.
    * Makes it illegal to send e-mails to e-mail addresses that have been
harvested from websites.
    [...]
    * Requires that your have an working unsubscribe system that makes it easy
for recipients to unsubscribe opt out of receiving your e-mails.
    * Requires most e-mailers to include their postal mailing address in the
message.
    * Implicates not only spammers, but those who procure their services.
Indeed, if you fail to prevent spammers from promoting your products and
services you can prosecuted.
[...]."[1]

EVERY ONE of those (I removed the one regarding "sexually explicit" material,
which seems to be the only one that DOESN'T apply here) appears to be met by
these sleazy messages.

1)Replying to a random thread definitely makes for deceptive subject lines

2)How else did this sleazebag get the kingdom mailing list address other than
harvesting it from a web site (okay, this one is a bit of a stretch, but not
WRONG...)

3)There is definitely no easy way for us to unsubscribe from their unwanted
advertisements - "have someone else unsubscribe them from each of the mailing
lists they're abusing" definitely doesn't count.

4)There is no postal address in the emails either

5)Obviously, the inconsiderate wretches who hired the spammer can be penalized
as well

6)The site also mentions both criminal and civil penalties possible

Have I mentioned I REALLY hate spammers?

[1] "How to comply with the CAN-SPAM act of 2003" -
http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt9/canspam_comply.htm (visited 2006-03-31)