[Artemisia] web site question

Kristin Gulling-Smith kgullingsmith at juno.com
Tue May 2 21:51:11 CDT 2006

Greetings from Athenais Golden Pillar!

> So, I'll ask Why is the Heraldry site down?

The maintenance of the website passed from my hands to another person's a
few months ago; I see Malkin has already answered part of this.

> submission was two years ago. My name passed, but no word on my device.

Your device resubmission was sent to Laurel last fall after I received it,
Redhawk. The Laurel meeting at which it was decided was in March but the
Laurel letter from that meeting has not yet been published. This is all
according to the normal schedule of things, as we've discussed before.

> submission in Dec 04 and also no word on his device or name.  Where
> these submissions sit for so long is only a guess.  Because of this
> length of time it takes to process submissions maybe why there is a lack
> in submissions.

I will happily check the status of submissions if asked. I have not had
time or opportunity to keep the submission status page updated over the
last year for many reasons, the main one of which is that being in college
has eaten up the majority of my time... hence why I turned the website
over to someone else. Wolf's name and device were sent up last year; I
have fallen far behind on notification letters for submissions. I'm not
making excuses here---it is a fact. His name and device were both
registered in August. (Note that his name was registered as Ulfr bonde, as
he submitted.)

>  However, it can't happen very quickly when submissions are sent in two
> years ago and still no answer.
>   Please, no flaming.. just asking questions about our Kingdom Heraldry
> site and submissions..

No flaming at all. Real life has happened, and has happened fairly
traumatically to the kingdom submissions herald (me) over the last two
months in particular, but also for some time beyond that. That is why I am
stepping down as Golden Pillar in June, because I have not been able to
fulfill the requirements of my office for some little time now and because
I do not wish to create a larger problem for my successor to handle. The
kingdom has my apologies for this; if I had realised sooner how badly the
issues I was dealing with personally would affect the submissions handling
for the kingdom, I would have stepped down sooner.

For what it's worth, the submissions rate in Artemisia has always been
low, mostly due to the low numbers of populace. Every so often, there are
naturally upsurges as new members join, long-time members finally send
things in, or people decide to change things. I have quite a stack of
submission at the moment which will be dealt with this month; some of them
have indeed been sitting for a few months, largely because of an
unexpected and rushed move that my husband and I had to make recently. I
plan on catching all of them up in the submissions process this weekend,
and will be working on catching up the notification letter backlog this
month, as I do not want to hand my office over to a successor in a
shambles.

Again, my apologies to those who have been negatively affected in any way
by this. My intention was never to make heraldry in the kingdom appear to
be difficult, tricky, pointless, or just overwhelmingly time-consuming.
Unfortunately, it looks like I have done so at least in part.

If anyone else has a submission (or submissions) that they would like to
enquire about, please do feel free to e-mail me directly.

-Athenais

--
THL Athenais Bryennissa, Golden Pillar Herald
Artemisian CoH Website: http://heralds.artemisia.sca.org/