[Artemisia] web site question

Redhawk sca_redhawk at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 21:37:45 CDT 2006

Okay.. well, now we are getting some where..  thank you for explaining the process.  it gave me a headache figuring all this out.  it sure explains alot as to why oh why it takes so long.  i was just hoping to get the device passed before i was so old i couldn't sew any more.  which by looking the the mirror i just might be to late.
  Red

Kristin Gulling-Smith <kgullingsmith at juno.com> wrote:
  Redhawk wrote:
> PS.. i still want to know why it takes so long..

Here is a copy of something I sent to a submitter at some point in the
fairly recent past. While the months are subject to change, of course, the
time spans remain fairly constant.

Unfortunately, it is still too early to know. It takes roughly nine months
from the time of submission for a decision to be made and for you to know
the outcome. Your submission has to go through the internal writeup,
commentary, and decision process before going to Laurel, where it then
goes through the Laurel-level commentary and decision process, followed by
the Laurel letter of decisions, which goes through its own writing,
proof-reading, and printing stages. This time starts from the submission
of *each* item, so even though your original name submission had gone to
Laurel, the fact that I withdrew it because you submitted a different name
started that time over.

Your resubmitted name was sent to Laurel in October, which means that the
Laurel decision on it will be made in February. (Three months for
commentary and response, then a month for the Laurel meetings.) The Laurel
letter of acceptances and returns (LoAR) takes anywhere from one to three
months to write, depending on how many kingdoms sent submissions for that
month and how many submissions were on each kingdom's letters, as well as
the complexity of the decisions. Once I receive the LoAR, ideally, I'll
have notification letters out to the submitters within a month. I am in
college, so that "ideally" is often less so, but I do have a prospective
deputy to help me out with that issue.

Since your name will be decided on in February, I won't know what the
decision is until at least March, but more probably into April or even
May. Once I do, either I or my deputy will attempt to get the notification
letters as soon as possible at that point.

That does not of course include the delays that have been cropping up on
my end for the last few months, which I alluded to in my first response to
this thread. Those I take full personal responsibility for; however, it is
important to remember that there are delays all along the line, most of
them due to a desire on the part of the heralds of the SCA to make sure
that you get what you want. The fact that we handle the most paperwork out
of any office in the SCA, and ALL of us do so on a volunteer basis, does
factor into the times as well. (Trust me, as I've told people before---if
I were *paid* to do heraldry, it'd be an eight-hour-a-day job for me, and
happily so. ;)

Hopefully that will help enlighten the not-so-murky submissions process.

-Athenais

--
THL Athenais Bryennissa, Golden Pillar Herald
Artemisian CoH Website: http://heralds.artemisia.sca.org/