[Artemisia] another question.. different topic

Redhawk sca_redhawk at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 23:27:41 CDT 2006

gosh, that was so well said.  i didn't know we had such talented kids out there.  how wonderful to hear... and again, your post is very well said.
  Red

LadyPDC at aol.com wrote:
  Marie is correct in this. We have had several Kingdom Youth A&s Champions,
but only in years when there were youth competing. One year the champion
sheared the sheep, carded the wool, spun the wool, died the spun wool in two
different colors, then wove the wool into a beautiful scarf which she entered.
Another year (in which there were three different youth entries) the winner
planted her own herbs, grew them to maturity, harvested them and processed
them using three different methods and created a balm based on a period recipe.
The first entrant was 13 at the time and the second was 8 at the time. They
both also submitted documentation that would have competed well with most
adult entries.

But most years there are no youth entries at all. The kingdom cant award a
youth champion when there are no entrants.

Yes, the youth entries usually have some adult "guidance" but that doesn't
take much, just a pointer in the right direction. No more than any A&S
minister would give to any adult competitor. I believe that the lack of youth
champions is due more to a lack of knowledge that it is available and a lack of
encouragement than to any other factor.

We have had entrants as young as 4 (and he was excited just to get an
honorable mention) and as old as the maximum age of 18. So, ministers and parents
and others, get out there and find those potential candidates. You will not
believe the inner "push" it gives to see them working on their projects,
whether or not the project wins anything. Many of us have found that the
enthusiasm of the child translates over to us and we find ourselves finding joy in
the arts once again

Lady Constance de la Rose
Barony of Loch Salann
Kingdom of Artemisia