[Artemisia] Uprising: Wool to Whatever -- A Textile Arts Challenge!

Sandra Holladay sandrah at webpipe.net
Tue May 16 22:17:28 CDT 2006

Greetings unto the good gentles of Artemisia,

For those who attended Gryphon's Lair's Quest: War of the Roses, nearly one
year ago now, you may remember a contest held then regarding making
something out of wool, on site.  We had six participants and were very
impressed with the contest results.  Well, that contest will be held again,
at Uprising, and we are looking forward to seeing the results turned out by
our talented populace (I know they are talented, I was at Kingdom A&S and
viewed the many wonderful works submitted at that time).

What follows is the flyer for this competition.  If you have any questions,
please feel free to contact me.  (This flyer will also be available on the
Kingdom Website.)

In Service to the Kingdom of Artemisia,
THL Marisa nic Griogar

Wool to Whatever
A Textile Arts Challenge!

Wool was a major industry in England during the time of the War of the
Roses.  Not only did it cloth the population and provide warmth on cold
nights, it was used to pay taxes.

Working on a much smaller scale, this is a call to all spinners, weavers,
dyers, knitters, embroiderers, sewers, felters, etc.! The Wool to Whatever
contest is a competition for the construction of textiles or textile
projects to be completed on site during Uprising! This is derived from the
traditional 'Sheep to Shawl' competition. Any and all persons are encouraged
to participate in constructing *something* from wool while they are at the
Uprising. The idea is to highlight textile construction projects and for
folks to learn, practice, and/or show off their textile skills!

Registration:
Register for the challenge at the A&S tables in the Grand Pavilion.
Registration for this challenge can be done as early as Thursday morning, to
as late as Saturday morning.  Registration may be also be accomplished by
contacting THL Marisa in her encampment.  Registration needs to be completed
prior to starting work on your project.

When you register, you will receive a sheet with the guidelines for the
event as well as 3-4oz of washed wool.  Wool will be available on a first
come first serve basis.  Participants can choose to bring or use their own
wool, however they MUST bring it to Registration for weighing prior to
starting the project. (We would like everyone to start off on a somewhat
"even" footing.) Wool MUST be its natural color (undyed).  Dyeing may be
part of the on-site project. There will be some implements (combs, carders,
spindles, etc.) available for use only at the HL Marisa’s encampment (or at
the Grand Pavilion if she is there).

The goal of this challenge is to make *something* or *somethings* out of the
wool, while on site at the Uprising.

`	Documentation is not required to participate but we request that you use
period techniques to create or embellish period projects.
`	You *do not* have to use all of the wool provided.
`	You may use the provided wool to make several small things or one big
thing.
`	You may bring a warped loom or other "prep" materials in order to create
the project you have in mind. (If you bring a warped loom, the entire weft
MUST be the wool provided.)

All projects must be received by 1:00 Saturday (June 10).  Projects in by
the deadline will be displayed at the Laurels Prize Tourney in the Grand
Pavilion.  Only “finished” projects will be eligible to win.  Partially
completed projects will be ooh'd and ahh'd over by the judges with suitable
feedback for completing and hopefully entering in a future competition.

Some specifics for this part of the challenge:
`	More credit will be awarded for less processing done before hand.
`	More credit will be awarded for complexity and 'authenticity,' (for the
SCA time period) of the product and/or the process.
`	Extra consideration will be given to those who use ALL of the wool
provided, as well as products that contain *only* the wool provided.
`	All projects must be picked up by 5pm on Saturday, June 10.

PLEASE come by and participate in this event - the more textile artisans,
the better!

For more information, please contact: THL Marisa nic Griogar at
sandrah at webpipe.net