[Artemisia] NMS and Site Fees

Syeira ladysyeira at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 09:23:46 CDT 2006

Thank you for your input on the subject.You stated pretty clearly how I felt. The NMS didn't concern me until my kids got old enough to pay a site fee. Granted a Family membership would solve this but it seems silly for a 6 yr old. My 11 yr old is only with me in the summer so I really can't see paying membership for her either.
  My curiosity has been satisfied. Now it is a matter of how it is handled from here. I intend to politely point it out at any event I go to if I am charged it. I hate to be one of those people that carries around a rule book saying "that's not what it says here" but I also don't want pay something shouldn't have to. Hopefully our members that are working Troll will prove themselves to be gracious as always and it won't be a problem.
Tight budgets stink but then I'm sure many of you feel the same!
  YIS,
  Lady Syeira of Schattentor

Sandra Holladay <sandrah at webpipe.net> wrote:
  Greetings Lady Syeira of Schattentor,

This is an issue that has had a great deal of confusion from the very
beginning. To assist in clarification, the Kingdom Website added a link
some time ago to the BOD ruling as listed at
http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/nms.html. In the ruling are the
following statements: "How the NMS applies: (3) The NMS will not be
collected for minors for whom there is a discounted event fee." and "At the
SCA Board of Directors' meeting that was held in October 2002, the
non-member surcharge was further defined to include fee structures: For the
Kingdoms that reside in the United States, the NMS fee is $3 USD."

The BOD Meeting for the date the NMS went into effect is not on
http://www.sca.org/BOD/minutes/ which is the listing of BOD Minutes (there
is a lapse after October 1986 to October 2002); however, I did a quick
review of all documents in that page from October 2002 to the present. I
found some variances for certain Kingdoms (and for Pennsic), although they
did not state what those variances were.

As Lord John Gilson states below, Uprising is charging a NMS of $5 and
Estrella $10 (Pennsic $25 per week, War of the Lilies in Calontir $5 for a
nine day event, Glory War doesn't have their site information up yet). It
appears that when an event goes over the standard number of weekend days,
the NMS goes up, and I find that understandable, although, if legitimately
allowed, it should be written into the BOD ruling stating so.

I do not find anything in writing to support John's statement of "It should
be stated that a group however MAY charge more, or even add their own
additional NMS fees to minors if they choose to." When the BOD's written
statement says "The NMS will not be collected for minors for whom there is a
discounted event fee." To me, that means it will not be done. If exceptions
are to be allowed, then the BOD ruling should state so. If there is such a
statement from the BOD, and I missed it in skimming the minutes, I would
appreciate knowing so.

I agree with an earlier posting, if a NMS is being charged for minors for
whom there is a discounted event fee, discuss with them the ruling and why
they are charging the fee.

It seems that confusion is a continuing problem and the only way I can see
for this to be alleviated is for the BOD to clarify, in writing, what is and
is not allowed for the NMS. Or we go with what the BOD has already written,
which is no NMS for discounted event fees (minors mostly) and the NMS is
$3.00 in the USA.

The above are my findings, observations, and opinions. I hope it has been
of some help.

YIS
THL Marisa nic Griogar