[Artemisia] NMS and Site Fees

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Thu May 18 13:59:22 CDT 2006

I have personally seen only one event that charged an additional fee on site for youth activities, when that has occurred, it is usually to help defray the cost of pricier kid supplies.  Note at that event, whether or not you wanted your kids to participate in said activity that carried a price tag, was optional, think about any other  any A&S type class that comes with an associated extra fee.... it's to help reimburse the provider of the activity for their added expense. I've also seen one maybe two where this kind of thing handled as a 'suggested donation' again, it's optional, not required.  At the event that had an extra charge, they offered two sets of 'craft related' activities for kids... the set of activities they were charging for was to make some very very cool do dads that they got to take home, which by the way the kids really enjoyed making.  The other set of activities was nice too, but no where near the same in 'coolness factor' and no where near as interesting to make. At the other one, they re-cooped whatever costs they could and basically ate the rest, however still allowed all the kids to participate in all of the same activities.

I have also seen events where the youth discount is more than 1/2 of adult fee (as it usually is) again, for the same reason to help offset the cost of providing 'special' activities for the kids.

I have never seen this type of thing passed off as NMS for kids... nor should it be.

A suggestion: To avoid having extra onsite fees and/or misunderstandings as to what is and is not permitted at an event... the MOY and the autocrat should work closely together to insure that the cost of providing supplies for kid activities is incorporated into the expenses for the event. They should also work closely with the groups financial committee.  The MOY should do everything in their power to keep their event costs down to a minimum and stay within their budget.

Something to think about.
Yes, the SCA is a 'family oriented' organization.  However at the same time, parents please remember that, providing youth activities as with anything else comes with a price tag.. both in materials as well as time. Although the youth ministers enjoy working with kids... when you bring them to events, they are basically your 'hostage' for one to many days... sometimes as unwilling participants.  For that reason, the MOY does what they can to initiate activities that not only occupy some of their time, but are also fun, creative and/or interesting to them (they also like to generate activities that involve something other than hitting each other with 'sticks' that are appropriate to the children's age and abilities). This helps to improve the SCA experience not only for the child, but also for the adults around them.  It also makes your children look forward to their next event with a bit more enthusiasm. So how can you help?  Donate money and/or materials to help support your local youth programs.  Better yet, also donate your time.  Offer to spend an hour or two of your event time working with the youth minister in the youth center.  Offer to actually run an activity at an upcoming event your MOY would greatly appreciate it.

I should note, that not only do they appreciate help and/or donations from parents, they will also gladly accept help from non-parents (with appropriate supervision... smile)

My ten pence

Bethoc
previous MOY