[Artemisia] Youth activities WAS NMS and Site Fees

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Thu May 18 19:30:32 CDT 2006

'Interesting' youth activities come from adults who are willing to participate and make them interesting. As with everything else, you can't please all the kids all the time, but you can come really really close ;0)... Been there done that myself.

If you're having difficulties with chasing your child at events versus supporting your hubby on the field or even providing whatever activities you have volunteered to do... hire a sitter and bring them to the event with you or ask someone else to keep an eye on your little one while you're busy.  Definitely get folks to help you in the youth center.

Finding out from the kids what they like doing at events is a good thing, but also work with other current and past MOY's to figure out what works and doesn't work for them.  You'll find many willing to talk.  Get on the Youth Ministers e-list and chat it up a bit... you'll get lots and lots of ideas if you will all just participate at that level.

There is also a WAY cool newsletter, written for MOY's by MOYs that is available both via subscription (small charge)  or free access is granted on their website at:
http://www.freewebtown.com/JamesandGwen/libellus.htm<http://www.freewebtown.com/JamesandGwen/libellus.htm>

Note, as an MOY, you only turn into a babysitter if you allow yourself to be one.  That's part of why you do your best to get support and participation from other adults as well as yourself. You pick the times and duration of your activities, start and end on time... return the kids to their parents when you are done.  Don't set the expectation that you'll be 'taking care' of kids all day... even if your activities run all day... and DON'T accept kids under the age of 5 without appropriate additional supervision.

If you have a theme for your event and want some ideas, contact me off list, I'd be happy to share some thoughts... I won't be to BLA or Raptor, otherwise I might have even offered to help you.

You now have a kingdom youth minister, Lady Sorcha, contact her and get ideas as well.  You're not alone, don't burn yourself out.

The MOY is supposed to have just as much fun at events as the kids... if you're not, then something is wrong. It's up to you to change it

My three pence

Bethoc
ex -MOY