[Artemisia] NMS and Site Fees

sandrah at webpipe.net sandrah at webpipe.net
Fri May 19 17:27:36 CDT 2006

Baroness Theiadora Groves, Ombudsman for the Kingdom of Artemisia,
responded to my missive copied to her.  As has been brought up recently,
groups can charge above the $3.00 amount for their own use.  The Society
has chosen not to restrict or control at the Kingdom Level.  Since the
subject of child NMS is such an issue to our populace, perhaps the Kingdom
could offer guidelines for events (not restrictions or rules -- that would
open another can of worms).

Marisa

Baroness Theiadora Groves response:

With this message I hope to clarify the NMS issue. The pages quoted are
correct, the Corporate NMS fee of $3.00 will not be collected on Children
with a discounted event fee.

The confusion arises with NMS when some of the Kingdoms have their own
structure for by Event Member discounts or NMS Fees at Kingdom Level (most
of which existed prior to the addition of the Corporate NMS fees).
The Board has chosen not to restrict or control implementation of
additional non-member fees at events.

The Complete text of the NMS FAQ can be found at
http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/nms.html
The Specific (to this question) sections is "How the NMS applies: (3) The
NMS will not be collected for minors for whom there is a discounted event
fee." and "At the SCA Board of Directors' meeting that was held in October
2002, the non-member surcharge was further defined to include fee
structures: For the Kingdoms that reside in the United States, the NMS fee
is $3 USD."

>From the examples that were listed in your email the amounts above the
$3.00 that get forwarded to the Corporate Office, those funds are
collected by the local group/Kingdom and utilized by them directly.

In Service,

Baroness Theiadora Groves, OP
Heather English
Director