[Artemisia] Re: Artemisia Digest, Vol 38, Issue 17

marmaeve marmaeve at aros.net
Fri Nov 10 16:56:35 CST 2006

Re: The SCA as performing monkeys

Greetings Gentles all,

I'm not sure that it's a legitimate anything. If  m'lady (Term used for
manners sake only) Paige can't spell basic words, how could any one
trust her to do right by the SCA? Even if it is really ABC, I'd be
cautious about it.

 I believe that it would be appropriate to register our complaints about
this behavior. Just because individuals belong to historical
re-enactment of any form does not mean that we should be disrespected in
this manner. It is not only dishonorable, it is prejudice, and could be
considered an abuse of trust.

Please advise if this is an appropriate response. I do not think that
this incident should be ignored. Other groups have faced similar
discrimination and it has caused problems. Undoubtedly there will be
some gentle out there who is foolhardy enough to participate. It will
reflect badly on us all and may impact our abilities to rent sites,
recruit new members, and to perform demos and lectures to advance
Medieval and Renaissance studies.

If they are truly seeking families to participate in that awful show,
they should be open and not try to couch their activities behind a
'positive' smokescreen.

I think that we should let our collective voice be heard and tell ABC
that this is not appropriate behavior.

What say you?

I think a response should be generated and all other Re-enactment groups
should be advised of this stiuation, Civil War, Sealed Knot, Roman,
Mountain Man, etc.

This is my thought. I would like to hear from others on the subject.

In service,
Maeve Mac
marmaeve at aros.net