[Artemisia] TV shows - They Got One <grin>

Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer) damethaya at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 09:17:50 CST 2006

Greetings List,
  I also was simply expressing my concern for the reputation of the SCA, folks are certainly free to participate in anything they would like to do.  That being said, This Friday the episode of Wife Swaps that will air appears to involve an SCA couple.  From the preview teasers I saw (during breaks of another show I was watching) the producers already have their subjects.  The teaser clips showed both the wife and husband in full armor (nice armor I might add) and one of them mounted doing equestrian SCA style lance target tilting. Thus it appears the show found some SCA folks already - FYI.
  Fondly,
  Dame Rachel
  Baroness of Arn Hold

Dame Theodora <damethea at inbox.com> wrote:
  I appreciate these comments, and I apologize if my original message sounded like I was trying to tell people that they could not participate if they chose to. I wrote my original message in haste, and realized that what I was trying to convey came across in another manner.

My concern was that this production company has made a point of seeking out SCAdians. People that have dealt with them said that the production company intended to make the individual's SCA participation a main focus if they were on the show. And I really just did not want anyone to go into it unaware.

As I stated to someone who sent these same concerns to me off list - I really have no opinion if someone goes on a reality show and says "I participate in a medieval recreation group" or something to that effect. I have somewhat of an issue if that person goes on the show, and through their choosing or that of the producers of the show, and the SCA is portrayed as a bunch of wierdos or something similarly negative.

Again, my apologies for a poorly worded post. I sincerely only intended to look out for my fellow Artemisians and the reputation of the Society we all enjoy.

Take care,
Thea
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dame Theodora of Trebizond, OP
Barony of Loch Salann
Kingdom of Artemisia

-> give their opinion and advice, which is what is happening here.

> Megen
>
> Jeanine wrote:
> You know, if someone wants to participate in these shows, it is totally
> up to them. Whether the group in part or the SCA as a whole likes it
> or not.
>

> Ja'mala
> ( I won't do it, but that's a personal choice)

“There have always been tyrants, and for a time
   they prosper.  But they always lose in the end, always.”
- M Gandhi
  SCA:  Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
(208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!