[Artemisia] Re: Betting on 14th Century Germans

Chuck Heisler Jr. conradvz at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 09:26:17 CST 2006

Are you implying I'm old?  :)

  In point of fact, Germans have been mercenaries for many millenia.  The Romans recruited them and their neighbors before that.  Lets not forget the Landsknechts.  There is a lovely history of Germanic mercenary behaviour.  That being said, don't forget the mercenary creed.

  "I am a mercenary, I kill people for money.  You are my friend, I will kill YOU for free."

  What is an oath of fealty but a contract to fight for the person who gives you money to maintain yourself?  Certainly its clothed in the aura of respectibility given to ceremony, but still.

  An interesting debate really.

  Although everyone knows I'll try and whack whoever the person in charge tells me to whack.  Its not about the money, its about the violence.  :)

  CvZ

Asheel Terestini <ashe_el at yahoo.com> wrote:
  hmmm..... very good question....

Since you've been playing many more years than I, I do believe you would know the answer better than I.

Ashé'el

"Chuck Heisler Jr." wrote: When did Artemisians start betting money and goods on fights?

C.