[Artemisia] Fwd: [schattentor] To the Musically Inclined

rayzentz at aim.com rayzentz at aim.com
Wed Oct 4 12:20:08 CDT 2006

Greetings, John,

Just hazarding a guess, as it is difficult to diagnose instrument problems without seeing or handling the instrument itself. .   It sounds like there is a leak somewhere. Could be one of two problems.   Is it a two piece instrument?   If so, first thing to check is the seal of the joint.   if not, there could be a very small hairline crack in the instrument.   Check by plugging the end, covering all holes, and blowing thru the instrument (no mouthpiece of course- if a one piece instrument, you will have to put the whole mouthpiece in your mouth to cover the fipple).   Listen carefully for a hiss of escaping air, or a lessening in pressure as you blow.   If you find a crack, a good sealant may help the problem.

Aside from this, there are relationship ratios that could be affecting the playability - much too technical for this venue.   Try these suggestions, and let me know how it works.

Padruig McTavish, Arrows' Flight
(mka Dr. Ramond Zentz, DME)
rayzentz at aim.com