[Artemisia] Shield of Chivalry - how I found out

Bartholomew Hightower bartholomew at coteduciel.org
Mon Oct 16 02:11:04 CDT 2006

I'm in my truck this morning, heading out to Home Depot for my daily
ration of  home improvement supplies.  My cell phone rings.  It is The
King of Artemisia.

HRM:  Bart!  How ya doing?

Me:  Um... grrrreeeat, Your Majesty.  I didn't know you got up this early.

HRM:   Oh yeah.  I'm on my way out to war practice.

Me: [supresses urge to say WAR!!!!]  Ah, that's right.  Hey, I had a
blast at your crown tourney yesterday.

HRM:  That's what I'm calling about about.  You left your shield there.

Me:  [glances back into truck bed, sees both shields there]  Are you
sure about that, Your Majesty?

HRM:  Positive.

Me:  I brought some extra shield blanks, but I sold all those off...

HRM:  Nope.  It's yours.

Me:  Are you certain that you didn't find my eyeglasses?  Those are
missing...

HRM:  It's your shield, Bart.

Me:  [trying to be helpful]  Could you describe it for me?

HRM:  Oh, it's heater-shaped, black, with a gold pile, a couple of
gryphons, a laurel wreath, and a crown.

[long pause]

HRM: Are you getting the picture?

[cut scene to approximately 15 minutes later, at the Home Depot
contractor checkout]

Cashier:  ...that'll be $35.70.  Can I say that you look very happy for
this time of the morning?

Me:  [grinning ear-to-ear] I'm having a really *great* day.

And I did.

--
Bartholomew Hightower of Canterbury, OP
(Dan Watson)