[Artemisia] Membership Questions

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Fri Oct 27 15:07:54 CDT 2006

Answers below:
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dame Theodora<mailto:damethea at inbox.com>
  To: Artemisia list<mailto:artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org>
  Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 1:04 PM
  Subject: [Artemisia] Membership Questions

  Greetings, all.
  I have a few questions for you.  If you would take a minute to respond, I would greatly appreciate it - no matter your rank, station, or time participating in the society.  If you would prefer to reply privately, that is fine.  My email is damethea at inbox dot com

  1)  Are you a paid member of the Society?    Yes

  2) If so, what prompted you to pay for a membership?
  Because it's the 'right thing to do'.
  I firmly believe that if you want to belong to an organization and 'dues' are identified (and reasonable), then if I wish to fully participate in that organization, I should be a 'dues paying' member.
  I do however feel that folks should be given a defined 'grace' period before requiring that they make a decision, the problem there is how to determine that the grace period is 'over'.

  3) If not, what prompts you not to pay for a membership?  n/a

  4) What are your feelings about paid membership being required to participate in certain activities?  (holding office, authorized fighting, receiving awards)
  .  would a person who doesn't pay 'dues' really have a vested interested in the total organization?  I think
     not.
  .  part of the reason we pay dues is for some level of insurance coverage although what level exactly, I'm
     not certain.
  .  awards - depends on the award, some of the 'lighter' awards, paid membership might not be so critical,
     peerages or higher level awards that carry titles - definitely.

  5) What are your feelings about requiring membership for all participation in the Society (often referred to as "pay to play")?
  .  We generate income from the non-members the same way (sort of) that we do from paying members,
     so I don't feel strongly about this one one way or the other.  I do however feel that all participants
     regardless of membership should have the same responsibilities such as safety, etc, however not
     necessarily the same rights as to level of participation, I.e. rank etc.

     It doesn't matter what organization you belong to... the concepts are pretty much the same when it
     comes to membership and it's associated 'dues'.

  For those who are curious, I am doing a straw poll of sorts based on lines of discussion generated by the Grand Council.

  Thanks for your time,
  Thea