[Artemisia] A New Debate - Pay to Play

Baron Arnhold bnbarnhold at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 10:44:45 CST 2006

Greetings,
  It was my understanding that it is already the case.  It may not be practiced or enforced, but technically one does need to be a paid SCA member in order to compete in any combative arts (heavy - rapier - archery - equestrian), to hold office in any SCA group, before you can receive any Kingdom level award, or vote in any SCA pollings, per the last Corpora printing (that I ever read).  Or were you simply asking for comments on this requirement?
  Fondly,
  Dame Rachel
  Baroness of Arn Hold

"Chuck Heisler Jr." <conradvz at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Greetings Artemisia,

Here is a topic of discussion I'd like Artemisians to consider and discuss (as rationally as possible please).

The concept of "Pay-to-Play". This means that you would have to be a member of the SCA (any style of membership allowed) before being allowed to compete, fight, be an officer, vote on any subject, etc.

How does Artemisia feel about this subject?

Thank you,
Conrad von Zuberbuhler

  PUSH THE BUTTON, MAX!
  Meister Tor and Dame Rachel