[Artemisia] Pay to Play

Aletheia Isidora tarimaat at bresnan.net
Tue Oct 31 21:55:05 CST 2006

Mark Chapman wrote:
> The non-member surcharge is in fact a form of pay to play.
> I would like to see everyone who plays very much be members. (how to
> define "very much" is probematic)
> For the person who attends one or perhaps two events a year membership
> an unralistic expitation.
> Let them pay the surcharge, no awards,& no fighting after their first
> local event.
> Ådne

Not to pick on Adne, but here's my tuppence:

And how much do you charge or pay for donated time? I have known people
who, while unemployed and barely keeping a roof over their heads, gave
lots of time to helping set up/take down/organize etc events, fighter
practices and other things (when they weren't job hunting. They would do
costuming or decorations or other arts or assistance therewith for the
price of a site and/or feast fee. Sometimes event stewards waive fees
for diligent helpers, and these people took advantage of that, by doing
practically everything. They earned their attendance at that event! But
they could NOT spare $35 a year out of a non-existent budget for
membership.

So now it seems everyone wants to make these people shell out money they
don't have just to attend an event they worked hard for? Or to have the
time and efforts they have put forth recognized by their group or
kingdom? Where is the chivalry there?

Yes, officers should be members, so should peers - if only to
demonstrate that they can withstand the monetary costs of the office
they are undertaking.  I know heralds who routinely pay their group's
heraldry-related postage out of their own pockets, and peers are
expected to look like peers, which takes either money, or friends with
talent (or both).

Also remember that membership does NOT benefit local groups except thru
the insurance coverage thing - the money all goes to corpora. Local
groups are supported by site and feast fees - better to pay at the local
level (and cheaper, too).

And yes, I am a paid member and have been for quite a while now.

Aletheia Isidora of Philae, sometimes called Tarimaat